Wednesday, May 21, 2008

My Life (part 5)

Ok, back to the work here. I'm gonna rewind a bit from where I left off last.
On the topic of spiritual gifts. One of my major spiritual gifts is compassion, and it is the source of the gift of healing. Several times in the gospels, Jesus felt compassion for the people, after which miracles ensued. For me, I can often feel what others feel. Especially when they are hurting. Sometimes I am more sensitive, more open to the Spirit, than others. Sometimes when in a crowd... I can't explain it. But if there are a lot of people around me that are going through major tough times, even complete strangers, sometimes I just have to get out and be alone. It can be overwhelming at times.

There have been miracles though. Oh my, have there ever. The first was in high school. I was in the library studying for my social final, and a friend came in on crutches, she had twisted her ankle really bad the night before. The Lord prompted me to pray for her, so we went off to a quiet back corner of the library. Well, not only did she leave the library walking perfectly fine, but a week later after a trip to her doctor's for her regular diabetes check up, they discovered that her diabetes was gone as well. She was not on insulin shots, just pill form, but she didn't need it any more at all.

As a quick list... I have seen psoriasis (a painful, itchy skin condition) clear up before my eyes in a matter of minutes, broken bones instantly healed, back conditions healed (not sure why mine still bugs me, but everyone else I pray for seems to get better. Maybe it's just hard to have compassion on yourself), arthritis in the hands healed, I have seen a deaf ear open and a blind man receive his sight, have not yet had the pleasure of seeing someone raise from the dead though. The most profound, life altering, and difficult to substantiate are the miracles of the heart. Broken hearts healed and restored (including my own). Miracles happen today folks. Jesus still heals through His people. The gifts of the Spirit were not only for the early church fathers, they are for today, here and now, and the world desperately needs people who know how to walk in them.

No comments: